Tuesday 20 March 2012

We be Cruisin' - Day Two

We arrived at Catalina Island whilst Julia and I were still asleep. Nanny had already gone out (unbeknownst to us, she on a higher-level deck in a different cabin) for a cup of tea. Most of the more enterprising, activity-seeking passengers had already made their way to the island via small, yellow ferry-boats by the time Julia and I left our cabin: Julia to get a very thorough, restorative massage that worked wonders for her neck and me to get breakfast.

It astounds me how people can say all you do on a cruise is eat. I had micro-thin bacon, sausage, scrambled-egg and this creative use of mince and chopped-up snags for breakfast. Atkins would have been proud. Tea instead of coffee: I reckon the caffeine levels in the coffee in the States should be measured with a Geiger counter. You could power a nuclear submarine with this stuff. I got the major tremors: finally decided to stick with tea... it's a known entity.

But really, apart from that really nice dinner the first night, I decided that the food for the most part was *okay*, but nothing more. Yes, there's lots of it. And for the most part, it's available somewhere on the boat most of the day and evening. But how much food can a human consume and not feel crook? I eat when I'm hungry... today, I had a late breakfast and then after Julia's massage we met up with Nanny and had lunch not too long afterwards. Even though it was only a light lunch - I had chicken and beef cubes, Julia had a sandwich and Nanny had fruit - it was fairly soon after a late breakfast and we all filled up rather quickly on it.

Thus, by the time dinner came 'round, I still had nil appetite, none at all. It was meant to be a dress-up gala affair with lots of picture-taking, all things I abhor, so I originally opted to let the ladies take advantage of a bit of alone-time together ... deciding to spend the evening writing and maybe have a glass or two at a bar somewhere at some point. Changed my mind at the last minute, though, so we had yet another nice meal, all dressed up.

The ship sailed at 4 pm... the seas were incredibly calm, so the motion through the very slight swells was silky and almost without any movement at all.

The sea was a millpond.

No comments:

Post a Comment